Last Wednesday, March 30th, 35 women gathered for an afternoon tea in the warm and inviting environment of Arcadia Farms Café in Scottsdale, Az., sharing delicious sandwiches and decadent desserts as they learned how they can help Opportunity’s women clients provide for their families and improve their futures.
I was pleased to be able to attend the event hosted by Cindy Schwab-Salem, a Regional Director for Opportunity and our Arizona Board of Governors. Together, Cindy and I shared with the group of engaged listeners the need, the value and the impact of investing in women worldwide.
Then we listened, inspired, as Brenda Nabwala, Opportunity Uganda loan officer, shared her stories of helping Ugandan women clients create change in their lives. I was struck that Brenda, and her fellow staff members, are the working embodiment of everything we hope to accomplish at Opportunity. A recent graduate of the 10,000 Women Emerging Leaders Program funded by a Goldman Sachs grant, she is tirelessly dedicated to improving the lives of all her clients.
Finally, all the guests were invited to participate in Opportunity International’s Banking on Women Campaign, which culminates on Mother’s Day on May 8th. To join the campaign, guests were offered many ways to get involved:
- Join the Women’s Opportunity Network (WON).
- Travel on the “Mothers, Daughters and Sisters Insight Trip” to Uganda in June, 2011.
- Make an impact with a contribution to the Banking on Women’s campaign. $1,075 is enough to provide five (5) women clients with small business loans.
- Join Opportunity in San Francisco, October 14-15th, for the Fall 2011 Microfinance Conference, Innovating to End Poverty.
- Travel on an Insight Trip to Malawi with Cindy Schwab-Salem, October 28-November 5th.
- Host an event featuring an Opportunity guest speaker who will share how you and your guests can support Opportunity’s work and get involved.
In honor of our Banking on Women Campaign from March 8-May 8th, I was thrilled to be able to share the fellowship of this afternoon tea in Arizona. Next on the Banking on Women’s tour is a WON Brunch & Learn on April 9th in Oak Park, Ill. There we’ll be learning why investing in women helps change the world faster, and we’ll hear again from inspiring guest speaker Brenda.
I continue to be awed and inspired to see so many women around the country taking action to support our Banking on Women campaign, helping women everywhere create change in their lives. I hope you’ll join us in supporting these efforts.